Recipe of the Week – Bean Curry
Most afternoons I’m prepared for dinner. Other afternoons I open the fridge and there is half a jug of milk and some coriander… yesterday was one of those days!
I’d spent the day focussed on work and was super productive and to be honest I hadn’t even considered what was in the fridge – dilemma! Two hungry boys and nothing to eat.
Fortunately there were some beans in the pantry and I always have curry ingredients – so bean curry it was!
- 3 cans of beans (I used chick peas, lentils and borlotti but any will do)
- 75 ml oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks (10 cm long)
- 20 ml medium strength masala curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 ml crushed garlic and ginger
- 4 curry leaves
- 5 ml whole fennel seeds
- 250 ml water (one cup) – I use about double because I like it saucy!
- 1 medium tomato, skinned and diced – I used 3 again because I’m saucy kinda gal
- Coriander (dhania) leaves for garnishing
- Heat oil and add diced onion, cloves and cinnamon sticks.
- Add the masala powder mix, stir and add beans to the pot.
- Add salt, garlic and ginger, curry leaves and fennel seeds. Stir all ingredients together.
- Allow to cook on a high heat for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking for 30 minutes.
- As excess water and juices evaporate, add the additional cup of water, followed by the tomato.
- When the beans are cooked (approximately 30 minutes), simmer on high heat for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander and serve with rice, roti and green salad.
It was delicious and hubby has the leftover for lunch today. I’ve tried a lot of curry recipes over the years and this is without doubt the most delicious of the lot!
Give it a go, you won’t regret it…